Welcome to Athens, the stunning capital city of Greece. Known for its rich history, ancient ruins, and vibrant culture, Athens is a top destination for travelers from around the world. When planning your trip to this beautiful city, one of the key decisions you’ll need to make is where to stay.
While there are various accommodation options available in Athens, one option that is gaining popularity among budget-conscious travelers is staying in a hostel. Hostels offer affordable rates, a friendly atmosphere, and a chance to connect with fellow travelers.
In this article, we will explore the benefits of staying in a hostel in Athens, factors to consider when choosing a hostel, and highlight some of the best hostels in the city center, as well as those near popular attractions. We will also cover hostels that offer unique accommodation options, are conveniently located near public transportation, and provide exceptional amenities and services.
Whether you are a solo traveler looking to meet new people or a group of friends on a tight budget, staying in a hostel can be a fantastic choice for your Athens adventure. Let’s dive in and discover the wonderful world of hostels in Athens!
Benefits of staying in a hostel in Athens
Staying in a hostel in Athens offers numerous advantages that make it an attractive choice for travelers. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Affordability: One of the biggest advantages of staying in a hostel in Athens is the affordable prices. Hostels typically offer dormitory-style accommodations, allowing you to share a room with fellow travelers, which significantly reduces the cost compared to a hotel. This makes it ideal for budget-conscious travelers who want to save money without compromising on comfort.
- Socializing and meeting new people: Hostels are known for their vibrant and social atmosphere. They provide a fantastic opportunity to meet fellow travelers from all around the world. You can exchange travel stories, share tips, and even find travel buddies to explore Athens together. Many hostels also organize social activities and events, making it easy to connect with like-minded individuals.
- Local knowledge and insider tips: The staff at hostels are often locals or long-term residents of Athens who have a wealth of knowledge about the city. They can provide valuable insights, recommendations, and insider tips on the best places to visit, eat, and explore in Athens. This insider knowledge can greatly enhance your travel experience and help you discover hidden gems.
- Convenient amenities and facilities: Hostels in Athens offer a range of amenities and facilities to ensure a comfortable stay. Most hostels provide communal kitchens where you can prepare your own meals, saving you money on dining out. They also offer common areas, such as lounges or rooftop terraces, where you can relax, socialize, and enjoy the views of the city.
- Flexible accommodation options: Hostels in Athens cater to different needs and preferences. Whether you are traveling solo, as a couple, or in a group, hostels offer a variety of room options, from private rooms to dormitories. This flexibility allows you to choose the accommodation that suits your budget and comfort level.
Overall, staying in a hostel in Athens not only provides cost savings but also offers a unique and enriching travel experience. It allows you to immerse yourself in the local culture, make new friends, and create unforgettable memories. So, if you’re looking for an affordable, social, and enjoyable stay in Athens, a hostel is undoubtedly a fantastic choice.
Factors to consider when choosing a hostel in Athens
With numerous hostels to choose from in Athens, it’s important to consider certain factors to ensure you select the right one for your needs and preferences. Here are some key factors to consider when choosing a hostel in Athens:
- Location: The location of the hostel is crucial, as it can greatly impact your overall experience in Athens. Consider whether you prefer a hostel in the city center, close to the main attractions, or in a quieter neighborhood for a more peaceful stay.
- Price: While affordability is a major advantage of staying in a hostel, it’s still important to consider the price. Different hostels may have varying rates, so determine your budget and find a hostel that offers a good balance between price and value.
- Reviews and ratings: Before booking a hostel, make sure to check reviews and ratings from previous guests. Websites like TripAdvisor and Hostelworld provide valuable insights into the hostel’s overall quality, cleanliness, amenities, and customer service.
- Amenities and facilities: Consider the amenities and facilities offered by the hostel. Important features to look for include free Wi-Fi, lockers or secure storage, laundry facilities, common areas for socializing, and any additional perks that may enhance your stay in Athens.
- Safety and security: Safety is paramount when choosing a hostel. Look for hostels that have secure access, 24-hour reception or staff, and individual lockers in the rooms to keep your belongings safe. Reading reviews can also give you insight into the hostel’s safety measures.
- Atmosphere: Hostels have different atmospheres, ranging from party-oriented to more relaxed and quiet. Determine the type of atmosphere you prefer and find a hostel that aligns with your preferences, ensuring you have an enjoyable and comfortable stay.
- Additional services: Some hostels offer additional services such as airport transfers, tours, or communal meals. Consider if these extra services are important to you and if they align with your travel plans and interests.
By considering these factors, you can choose a hostel in Athens that suits your needs, provides a comfortable and enjoyable stay, and enhances your overall travel experience in this magnificent city.
Best hostels in Athens city center
When it comes to choosing a hostel in Athens city center, there are several impressive options that combine convenience, affordability, and great amenities. Here are some of the best hostels in Athens city center:
- Athens Backpackers: Located just a short walk from the Acropolis and the vibrant Plaka neighborhood, Athens Backpackers is a popular choice for travelers. The hostel offers both dormitory rooms and private rooms, as well as a rooftop bar with breathtaking views of the city.
- City Circus Athens: This trendy and eco-friendly hostel is situated in the heart of Athens, near Monastiraki Square. City Circus Athens showcases unique artwork and designs, and offers a variety of room options to suit different travelers. The rooftop terrace and bar is a great spot to relax and enjoy the panoramic views of the city.
- Hostel Zeus: Located near Syntagma Square and within walking distance of major attractions, Hostel Zeus offers cozy and comfortable accommodations. The hostel has a communal kitchen, a rooftop terrace, and helpful staff who can provide valuable tips for exploring Athens.
- AthenStyle: Situated in the vibrant Psirri neighborhood, AthenStyle is a modern and stylish hostel known for its friendly atmosphere. The hostel offers a range of room options, from budget-friendly dormitories to private suites. It also features a rooftop bar, a shared kitchen, and organized activities for guests.
- Bedbox Hostel: Nestled in the heart of Athens, Bedbox Hostel combines affordability with comfort. The hostel offers both dormitory rooms and private rooms, and features a common lounge area and a rooftop terrace. The friendly staff at Bedbox Hostel are always ready to provide recommendations and make your stay memorable.
These hostels in Athens city center provide a convenient base for exploring the city’s iconic landmarks, enjoying delicious Greek cuisine, and experiencing the vibrant nightlife. With their comfortable accommodations and friendly atmospheres, they ensure an unforgettable stay in Athens.
Affordable hostels near popular attractions in Athens
For travelers looking to stay close to popular attractions in Athens without breaking the bank, there are several affordable hostels that offer value for money. Here are some of the top choices:
- Student and Travellers Inn: Located near the Acropolis and the historic neighborhood of Plaka, Student and Travellers Inn offers budget-friendly accommodations with a friendly and laid-back atmosphere. The hostel features a rooftop terrace, a communal kitchen, and helpful staff who can provide recommendations for exploring nearby attractions.
- Athens Easy Access: Situated in the heart of Athens, just a short walk from the National Archaeological Museum, Athens Easy Access is a popular choice for budget travelers. The hostel offers both dormitory rooms and private rooms, and provides a comfortable and convenient stay for those wanting to explore the city’s cultural treasures.
- Athena Hostel: Located near Omonia Square and within walking distance of major attractions, Athena Hostel offers affordable accommodations with a welcoming atmosphere. The hostel provides clean and comfortable rooms, a communal kitchen, and a cozy lounge area where you can relax and meet fellow travelers.
- Victory Inn Athens: Situated near Syntagma Square and the bustling Ermou shopping street, Victory Inn Athens offers budget-friendly accommodations in a central location. The hostel features basic yet comfortable rooms, a communal lounge area, and a 24-hour front desk.
- Bedbox Hostel: As mentioned earlier, Bedbox Hostel is not only conveniently located in the heart of Athens but also offers affordable rates. With its comfortable accommodations and friendly staff, it is an excellent option for budget travelers who want to explore popular attractions without breaking the bank.
These affordable hostels near popular attractions in Athens provide a combination of convenience, affordability, and comfort. By choosing one of these hostels, you can easily access the city’s iconic landmarks, museums, and shopping areas while keeping your travel budget in check.
Hostels with unique accommodation options in Athens
If you’re looking for a truly unique and memorable stay in Athens, there are hostels that offer accommodation options beyond the traditional dormitories. These hostels provide a touch of creativity and originality to enhance your experience. Here are some of the top hostels with unique accommodation options in Athens:
- Athens Quinta: This artsy boutique hostel in the vibrant neighborhood of Exarchia offers a variety of unique accommodation options, including private rooms with hand-painted ceilings, vintage-inspired dormitories, and even a rooftop camping experience. The hostel’s courtyard and common areas are adorned with colorful murals and Art Nouveau details.
- AthenStyle: In addition to its standard dormitories, AthenStyle offers a unique sleeping experience called “Pod Beds.” These enclosed capsule-style beds provide privacy and comfort, equipped with curtains, personal reading lights, and power sockets. It’s a great option for those who prefer a more secluded sleeping arrangement.
- City Circus Athens: This eco-friendly hostel not only features stylish and comfortable dormitories but also offers the option of staying in a vintage airstream trailer. The trailer is fully renovated and equipped with all the necessary amenities, creating a nostalgic and adventurous accommodation experience.
- The City Hub: Located in the heart of Athens, The City Hub provides unique accommodation in the form of repurposed shipping containers. These modern and compact rooms offer a minimalist yet stylish design, with all the essential amenities for a comfortable stay.
- The Tribe Hostel: Situated near Monastiraki Square, The Tribe Hostel offers a range of accommodation options including dormitories, private rooms, and even rooftop tents. Sleeping under the stars on the hostel’s rooftop terrace provides a unique and unforgettable experience while offering great views of the city.
These hostels with unique accommodation options in Athens add an extra layer of excitement and charm to your stay. Whether it’s staying in a creatively decorated room, a vintage trailer, a repurposed shipping container, or even a rooftop tent, these options allow you to create lasting memories and immerse yourself in a one-of-a-kind Athens experience.
Hostels near public transportation in Athens
Convenience and accessibility are important factors to consider when choosing a hostel in Athens. Being near public transportation can save you time and make it easier to explore the city and its surrounding areas. Here are some hostels that are conveniently located near public transportation options:
- AthenStyle: Located in the lively Psirri neighborhood, AthenStyle is just a short walk from Monastiraki Metro Station. This station is well-connected, providing access to both the Blue and Red metro lines, allowing you to easily reach popular attractions such as the Acropolis, Syntagma Square, and the National Archaeological Museum.
- Bedbox Hostel: Situated near Omonia Square, Bedbox Hostel is close to Omonia Metro Station. From there, you can easily access different parts of Athens and its suburbs. The metro line also connects to the airport, offering a convenient option for travelers arriving or departing from Athens.
- Athens Backpackers: This hostel, located in the heart of Athens, is within walking distance of Monastiraki Metro Station. From there, you can hop on the metro to explore the city or take the train to the nearby port of Piraeus if you’re planning to visit the beautiful Greek islands.
- City Circus Athens: Situated in the vibrant neighborhood of Psirri, City Circus Athens is just a stone’s throw away from Thissio Metro Station. This station connects you to the Green metro line, which takes you to popular areas such as the National Gardens, Syntagma Square, and the Panathenaic Stadium.
- Hostel Zeus: Located near Syntagma Square, Hostel Zeus is in close proximity to Syntagma Metro Station. This central station provides easy access to the Red metro line, allowing you to explore key areas like the Acropolis, Plaka, and the National Archaeological Museum with convenience.
Staying in a hostel near public transportation in Athens ensures that you can effortlessly navigate the city and make the most of your time. Whether it’s exploring the historical sites, enjoying the bustling city center, or venturing further afield, these hostels offer excellent proximity to public transportation options for a seamless and convenient travel experience.
Hostels with exceptional amenities and services in Athens
If you’re looking for hostels that go above and beyond in terms of amenities and services, Athens has several options that offer exceptional experiences. Here are some hostels in Athens that stand out with their outstanding amenities and services:
- Athens Backpackers: This hostel offers a range of exceptional amenities, including a rooftop bar with panoramic views of the Acropolis, a communal kitchen, a spacious lounge area, and even a swimming pool. The friendly staff organizes various activities such as walking tours and pub crawls, ensuring an unforgettable stay.
- Athena Hostel: Athena Hostel provides exceptional services to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. The hostel offers a 24-hour front desk, luggage storage facilities, and a tour desk to assist with planning your Athens adventures. They also have a cozy lounge area where you can unwind and socialize with fellow travelers.
- City Circus Athens: This eco-friendly hostel not only offers unique accommodation in vintage airstream trailers but also provides exceptional amenities. You can enjoy the rooftop terrace and bar, a communal kitchen, laundry facilities, and even a book exchange. The attentive staff is always available to provide assistance and recommendations.
- Athens Quinta: Known for its artistic ambiance, Athens Quinta boasts exceptional amenities and services. You can relax on the hostel’s courtyard or rooftop terrace, enjoy the communal kitchen, and participate in organized events such as Greek cooking classes and walking tours. The knowledgeable staff is eager to share their local insights and recommendations.
- Athens Easy Access: This centrally located hostel offers exceptional services to ensure a hassle-free stay. They have a 24-hour front desk, lockers for secure storage, a shared lounge area, and even offer airport shuttle services. The friendly staff is always ready to assist with any inquiries or travel arrangements.
These hostels in Athens provide exceptional amenities and services that elevate your stay to the next level. Whether it’s enjoying breathtaking views, taking part in organized activities, or receiving personalized assistance, these hostels are dedicated to creating a memorable and comfortable experience for their guests.
Safety tips for staying in hostels in Athens
While staying in hostels can be a rewarding and enjoyable experience, it’s important to prioritize safety during your stay in Athens. Here are some essential safety tips to keep in mind when staying in hostels:
- Do your research: Before booking a hostel, research its location and reviews to ensure it is in a safe and reputable area. Read about the experiences of previous guests and look for hostels that prioritize security.
- Choose secure lockers: When staying in a hostel, make use of lockers or secure storage options provided by the establishment. Keep your valuable belongings, such as passports, documents, electronics, and cash, securely locked away.
- Use common sense: Practice basic safety measures such as keeping an eye on your belongings, not leaving your personal items unattended, and staying aware of your surroundings, especially in common areas and shared spaces.
- Be cautious with new acquaintances: While hostels offer a great opportunity to meet new people, exercise caution when sharing personal information or belongings with strangers. Trust your instincts and be aware of potential scams or suspicious behavior.
- Keep emergency contacts handy: Ensure you have the contact details of the hostel’s staff readily available, especially the 24-hour reception number. Additionally, keep a list of emergency contacts, such as local police and healthcare facilities, in case of any unforeseen circumstances.
- Stay alert in common areas: When spending time in common areas, be mindful of your belongings. Avoid leaving valuable items unattended and be cautious of anyone who approaches your belongings or tries to engage in distracting conversations.
- Follow hostel rules and regulations: Hostels often have specific policies and regulations in place to ensure the safety and well-being of all guests. Familiarize yourself with these rules and adhere to them for the benefit of yourself and others.
By following these safety tips, you can help ensure a safe and secure experience while staying in hostels in Athens. Remember to prioritize your personal well-being and take necessary precautions to make the most of your stay in this wonderful city.
Choosing the right hostel can greatly enhance your experience in Athens, and the city offers a wide range of options to suit every budget and preference. Staying in a hostel provides numerous benefits such as affordability, opportunities to socialize, and access to local knowledge.
Whether you prefer hostels in the city center, near popular attractions, or with unique accommodation options, Athens has something for everyone. From lively rooftop bars with stunning views to cozy communal kitchens and comfortable dormitories, hostels in Athens offer a diverse range of amenities and services to cater to different needs.
It’s important to consider factors such as location, price, reviews, amenities, and safety when choosing a hostel in Athens. Research various options, read reviews, and make an informed decision that aligns with your preferences and requirements.
While staying in hostels in Athens, prioritize safety by using secure lockers, exercising caution with new acquaintances, and keeping emergency contacts handy. By following these safety tips and utilizing common sense, you can ensure a secure and enjoyable stay in Athens.
Overall, staying in a hostel in Athens allows you to explore the city on a budget, connect with fellow travelers, and have a unique and memorable experience. So, pack your bags, choose the perfect hostel, and get ready to uncover the wonders of Athens.