Just when you think that loyalty programs can’t get any better, Marriott Bonvoy sets the bar higher for its members. It may be another loyalty program, but what makes Bonvoy unique is how it exceeds the ordinary. Marriott International’s Bonvoy is designed to continue inspiring its members to travel and enjoy its benefits. It’s more than just earning points because Marriott’s new loyalty program allows members to enjoy a series of experiential events. All this is possible through its partnerships with some of the biggest brands worldwide. Bonvoy is the product after merging Marriott Rewards, Ritz-Carlton Rewards, and Starwood Preferred Guest in 2018.
With about 120 million members, Marriott Bonvoy is among the largest hotel rewards programs in the world.
What Is Marriott Bonvoy?
Marriott International is known as the biggest hotel chain in the world. It has over 6,000 properties under its name and a huge presence in more than 100 countries. All these and more give Marriott International more reasons to keep inspiring and satisfying its members.
Marriott Bonvoy is a free loyalty program that allows members to earn points and enjoy unmatched benefits. From free nights to room upgrades, there’s more to enjoy from Bonvoy, depending on your membership level. Aside from that, this new rewards program allows members to transfer points to airline partners.
Why the name? Instead of just calling it Marriott Rewards, the hotel giant wanted a word that goes beyond rewards. The term “bonvoy,” short for “bon voyage,” hopes to remind its members of fun and enjoyable travels. Under this new program is a new campaign, “Rewards Reimagined.”
How Does Marriott Bonvoy Work?
To enjoy the many benefits of Marriott Bonvoy, you have to sign up and stay at Marriott hotels or properties. You also earn points whenever you use a co-branded credit card, such as AmEx. Every time you do so earns you points and credits to your status. The more you use it, the higher your status and the better benefits you enjoy.
Marriott International has a diverse portfolio of hotels and brands, including luxury and lifestyle properties. Members of the new loyalty program automatically have access to these brands and enjoy member benefits. The entire portfolio will help general members quickly move up to Elite status.
It’s easy to track your progress; simply log on to your account. There, you can view your recent points and status progress. Your account will also show special offers you can take advantage of.
What Makes Marriott Bonvoy Unique?
Aside from its diverse and extensive portfolio, other features make Marriott Bonvoy unique.
- The United RewardsPlus Partnership: Teaming up with United, Marriott allows its Bonvoy members to enjoy enhanced benefits. These include 25% bonus points and upgrades if you’re a United Premier Gold holder. Meanwhile, if you’re a Titanium holder, there’s a 40% mileage bonus.
- Points Advance: Want to avail of an award flight but short on points? Marriott Bonvoy’s Points Advance will take care of you. This program allows you to lock in an award while you wait to earn points. However, the rates can fluctuate, so you should always check.
- Marriott Bonvoy Moments: Bonvoy members do not only enjoy free nights or airline miles. The Moments feature allows members exclusive and VIP access to sports events, concerts, and culinary experiences, among others.
- Free Customization: Marriott Bonvoy allows its members to either use the points for hotel stays or airline miles. The promotions will be based on your earning preference.
How Do I Join Marriott Bonvoy?
To join, simply visit marriott.com, where a join tab awaits you. The link will lead you to a free online application. You need to put in your name, address, email, and phone number. It’s a simple process for a lifetime of benefits.
You can sign up here.
What Hotels Are Marriott Bonvoy?
Fancy a luxurious getaway such as Bvlgari Resorts and Hotels? Or perhaps something smart and easy such as the Courtyard by Marriott? With 30 brands to choose from, there’s a Marriott Bonvoy hotel to suit your taste.
Depending on your budget and preference, the list of hotels participating in the loyalty program is tempting.
Some of the brands include:
- AC Hotels
- Delta Hotels
- Fairfield by Marriott
- Le Méridien Hotels & Resorts
- Protea Hotels
- Renaissance Hotels
- The Ritz-Carlton
- Sheraton Hotels and Resorts
- Westin Hotels & Resorts
How Do I Earn Points From Marriott Bonvoy?
There are many ways to earn Marriott Bonvoy points. With over 7,000 properties, members have more options on how to earn Marriott points.
Here are some of the best ways to earn points:
- Stay at Bonvoy hotels and properties: This is perhaps the simplest way to earn Marriott Bonvoy points. Book any hotel under the Bonvoy umbrella and earn yourself 10 points per dollar. If you opt for long-term hotel options, you get either 2.5 or 5 points in select brands.
- Stay longer, earn more: You will be rewarded with more bonus points the longer you stay in any Marriott hotel.
- Use a co-branded credit card: Opening a Marriott credit card is among the ways to earn Bonvoy points. The more you use your Marriott credit card, the more you can earn points. Besides that, you have the chance to receive a bonus once you meet a certain spending amount. American Express has plenty of card options that let users convert their points to the Marriott Bonvoy program.
- Rent a car with Hertz: If you ever need to rent a car, do it with Hertz and earn yourself some Bonvoy points. Reward yourself with up to 2,000 Bonvoy points on each car rental with Hertz. Doing so also qualifies you to a 35% discount on car rentals.
- Host an event at a Marriott property: Planning a party? Host it at a Marriott hotel and earn Bonvoy points. You get 10 elite night credits on your first event booked with Marriott. This is enough to land you Silver Elite status.
How Much Are Marriot Bonvoy Points Worth?
The following rates can be enjoyed once you become a Marriott Bonvoy member:
- General Member: 10 points per dollar
- Silver Elite: 11 points per dollar
- Gold Elite: 12.5 points per dollar
- Platinum Elite: 15 points per dollar
- Titanium Elite: 17.5 points per dollar
- Ambassador Elite: 17.5 points per dollar
Take note: Marriott Bonvoy points will expire after 24 months of inactivity.
What Are The Rewards Of Marriott Bonvoy?
Here comes the best part — the rewards. What do you get once you become a member of the Marriott Bonvoy program? Being the biggest hotel chain in the world also means big rewards and benefits.
The Marriott Bonvoy membership has six levels: member, Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite, Titanium Elite, and Ambassador Elite. Each is designed to fit every member’s preference and lifestyle.
- Member: Simply signing up to the Marriott Bonvoy program already rewards you with perks. These include free standard WiFi, member rates, and access to mobile check-in. You also earn points that you can convert to free nights.
- Silver Elite: To reach this membership level, you need to complete 10 nights at any Marriott property in a calendar year. Among the rewards, a 10% point bonus on stays and priority late checkout are the most tempting.
- Gold Elite: This level requires 25 stays in a calendar year. One of the Gold Elite rewards is a 25% point bonus, as well as room upgrades.
- Platinum Elite: You need to stay at least 50 nights to earn this membership level. Platinum members get a 50% point bonus, free breakfast, and lounge access, among other rewards.
- Titanium Elite: Earning this tier means you have completed 75 qualifying nights in a calendar year. More nights means more rewards. Among the many, Titanium members earn a 75% point bonus. They’re also allowed to choose a free night certificate worth up to 40,000 points.
- Ambassador Elite: 100 nights in a calendar year will secure you a spot in the Ambassador Elite level. This also means you’ll have your personal “ambassador” to help you manage booking, transportation, or reservations.
Where Do You Use Marriott Bonvoy Points?
Marriott Bonvoy points are primarily used for hotel stays. Members can use their points or certificates for free hotel stays, room upgrades, and other benefits. However, if you think Marriott Bonvoy points are for hotel stays only, think again. Here are different ways you can use you earned points:
- Instant redemption: Use your Bonvoy points at any participating hotel for food, drinks, or even enhanced hotel amenities. Basically, you can use points for anything you can charge to your room.
- Shopping: The Bonvoy program lets you shop til you drop using your rewards. You can use your loyalty points on gift cards, tech, and fashion. Via Marriott’s shopping portal, browse over big retailers like Nordstrom and Amazon for your shopping pleasure.
- Airline transfer: Marriott boasts of the most number of airline transfer partners. You can convert your Marriott Bonvoy points to over 40 airlines such as Delta and American Airlines.
- Airfare or car rentals: Members of Marriott Bonvoy can also use their points for airfare and car rentals. This is a plus for frequent flyers and travelers.
Should You Sign Up For Marriott Bonvoy?
If you frequently book a stay in Marriott hotels, then this program is perfect for you. The benefits of Marriott Bonvoy are plenty, and the list of partner brands is long. Marriott Bonvoy hotels and properties represent all price points and comfort levels. This means there’s always something to suit your preference.
You don’t need to pay to join the Marriott Bonvoy program. That alone removes any financial obligation at the start. Aside from that, you receive an instant perk just by joining: free WiFi access. This is an essential member advantage that everyone appreciates.
Another appealing reason to sign up for Marriott Bonvoy is its massive footprint. There are over 7,000 hotels under this program, leaving you with vast choices and options. Aside from its trusted partners and brands, Marriott Bonvoy is affiliated with several credit cards. Using these credit cards help you earn points and move you up the membership levels.
Other Helpful FAQs
Why did Marriott change its name to Bonvoy?
Marriott launched the Bonvoy program in 2019 after merging its 3 loyalty brands. These three loyalty brands are Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG), Ritz-Carlton Rewards, and Marriott Rewards. The objective of Marriott Bonvoy is to bring together Marriott’s multitude of international brands under one loyalty program.
What are Marriott’s luxury brands?
While Marriott is focused on upscale properties, it also has budget-friendly brands under its name. Some of its famous luxury brands include:
- St. Regis
- JW Marriott Hotels & Resorts
- W Hotels
- The Luxury Collection Hotels & Resorts
- Bvlgari Hotels & Resorts
- EDITION Hotels
How do I check my Marriott points?
To check your points, simply log on to your account via the website or the Marriott Bonvoy app.
Does Marriott offer late checkout?
Yes, but the time depends on your membership level. For Gold Elite status, you can check out at 2 pm, when available. Meanwhile, Platinum Elite and higher members can check out as late as 4 pm. This is regardless of availability.
Is there a Marriott credit card with no annual fee?
If you want to do away with annual fees, get the Marriott Bonvoy Bold Credit Card from Chase. This card earns you 3x Marriott Bonvoy points at any Marriott hotel. You also get 2x Marriott points on travel spending.
What is the best Marriott Rewards credit card?
Depending on your spending habits, there’s a Marriott credit card suited for you. If you often stay with Marriott, the Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant American Express Card should be worth it. Meanwhile, a crowd favorite is the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless Credit Card from Chase. This is a solid choice because of its annual free night certificate.
Ready To Earn Points?
Marriott wouldn’t be the biggest hotel chain in the world for nothing. Boasting thousands of hotels and brands under its wing, Marriott International has etched its name big and proud. Aside from that, Marriott hotels sure know how to reward its members. The Marriott Bonvoy program proves that you get so much more than what you pay for.