With its stunning landscapes, vibrant culture, and rich history, Iceland has become a popular travel destination in recent years. And if you’re planning a trip to this Nordic island nation, why not make the most of it by taking advantage of the Icelandair Stopover program?
The Icelandair Stopover program allows travelers flying between North America and Europe with Icelandair to add a layover in Reykjavik, the capital city of Iceland, at no additional airfare. This means you can spend a few extra days exploring this extraordinary country, experiencing its natural wonders, and immersing yourself in its unique culture. Whether you’re on your way to Europe or returning to North America, the Icelandair Stopover offers a perfect opportunity to break up your journey and create unforgettable memories.
Not only does the Icelandair Stopover allow you to experience the beauty of Iceland, but it also provides a range of benefits and opportunities to enhance your trip. From the flexibility to choose the duration of your stopover to the wide array of activities and excursions available, this program offers a unique and convenient way to make the most of your time in Iceland.
In this article, we will explore the various benefits of the Icelandair Stopover, discuss how to book your stopover, highlight the destination options included, provide information on accommodation and transportation, and suggest some additional activities to make your stopover truly memorable.
So, if you’re planning a trip across the Atlantic, why not take advantage of this incredible opportunity to explore the wonders of Iceland? Prepare to be captivated by its natural beauty, enchanted by its rich folklore, and welcomed by its warm and friendly people. Let’s dive in and discover what the Icelandair Stopover has to offer!
Benefits of Icelandair Stopover
The Icelandair Stopover program offers several enticing benefits to travelers, making it a fantastic option to add value and excitement to your journey. Here are some of the key advantages of taking advantage of the Icelandair Stopover:
- Two Destinations in One Trip: By adding a stopover in Reykjavik, you have the opportunity to explore Iceland alongside your main destination in Europe or North America. It’s like getting two trips for the price of one, allowing you to experience the unique beauty and culture of Iceland without any additional airfare.
- Flexibility in Duration: With the Icelandair Stopover, you have the flexibility to choose the duration of your layover in Reykjavik. Whether you want a quick two-day visit or a more extended stay of up to seven days, you can customize your itinerary to suit your preferences and schedule.
- Opportunity for Adventure: Iceland is a paradise for adventure lovers. From hiking through dramatic landscapes to exploring ice caves, snorkeling in crystal-clear waters, or witnessing the mesmerizing Northern Lights, there are endless possibilities for thrilling experiences during your stopover.
- Chance to Experience Icelandic Culture: Reykjavik, known for its vibrant arts scene and lively nightlife, offers a delightful mix of traditional and modern Icelandic culture. Take a stroll through the charming streets, visit museums and galleries, indulge in delicious Icelandic cuisine, or relax in one of the famous geothermal pools for a truly immersive cultural experience.
- Unique Natural Wonders: Iceland is renowned for its breathtaking natural wonders, including majestic waterfalls, geothermal hot springs, towering glaciers, and black sand beaches. During your stopover, you can embark on guided tours or self-drive adventures to witness these extraordinary landscapes up close.
- Photography Opportunities: If you’re a photography enthusiast, Iceland’s otherworldly landscapes provide endless inspiration. From capturing the beauty of the Golden Circle to photographing the stunning ice formations of Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon, your stopover will offer countless memorable moments to capture through your lens.
These are just a few of the benefits that the Icelandair Stopover program provides. Whether you’re seeking adventure, cultural immersion, or the opportunity to explore natural wonders, taking advantage of the stopover will undoubtedly enhance your overall travel experience.
How to Book an Icelandair Stopover
Booking an Icelandair Stopover is a simple and straightforward process that can be done when purchasing your flights with Icelandair. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to book your stopover:
- Choose your Origin and Destination: Start by selecting your departure city and your final destination. Keep in mind that the Icelandair Stopover program is available for flights between North America and Europe, with Reykjavik as the connecting point.
- Select Your Travel Dates: Determine the dates for your main trip and decide how many days you’d like to spend in Iceland during your stopover. Keep in mind that the minimum duration for a stopover is 24 hours, but you can extend it up to seven days.
- Search for Flights: Head to the Icelandair website or use their mobile app to search for flights. Enter your departure city, final destination, and preferred travel dates. The search results will include options for both direct flights and flights with a stopover in Reykjavik.
- Choose a Stopover Option: Look for flights that offer a stopover option in Reykjavik. These flights will have an additional “Stopover” tag or option when viewing the details. Select the flights that suit your desired travel dates and duration of the stopover.
- Complete your Booking: Once you have selected your flights, proceed with the booking process. Enter your personal details, payment information, and any additional preferences or services you may require. Review your booking and confirm it.
- Plan Your Stopover Itinerary: After booking your flights, start planning your activities and excursions during your time in Iceland. Research the attractions you want to visit, book any necessary tours or accommodations, and create an itinerary that maximizes your stopover experience.
It’s important to note that the availability of the Icelandair Stopover may vary depending on the time of year and the demand for certain routes. It’s recommended to book your flights well in advance to secure your preferred travel dates and stopover duration.
By following these simple steps, you can easily book your Icelandair Stopover and add a memorable visit to Reykjavik to your travel plans. So, get ready to explore the wonders of Iceland and create unforgettable memories during your stopover.
Duration and Flexibility of Stopover
One of the great advantages of the Icelandair Stopover program is the flexibility it offers in terms of the duration of your layover in Reykjavik. Here’s everything you need to know about the duration and flexibility of your stopover:
Minimum Duration: The minimum duration for an Icelandair Stopover is 24 hours. This means that you can choose to spend a full day exploring the sights and attractions of Reykjavik or extend your stay for a longer period to experience more of what Iceland has to offer.
Maximum Duration: The maximum duration for an Icelandair Stopover is seven days. This allows you to immerse yourself in the Icelandic culture, embark on exciting adventures, and discover the natural wonders of the country during your time in Reykjavik.
Flexibility in Choosing the Duration: When booking your Icelandair Stopover, you have the flexibility to choose the duration that suits your preferences and travel plans. Whether you want a short layover to stretch your legs and explore the city or a longer stay to fully immerse yourself in the Icelandic experience, the choice is yours.
Two Trips in One: The Icelandair Stopover program allows you to seamlessly combine two trips into one. Whether you’re traveling from North America to Europe or vice versa, you can break up your journey with a stopover in Iceland, giving you the chance to explore a new destination without any additional airfare.
Multiple Stopovers: If you’re feeling adventurous and want to explore even more of Iceland, you have the option to take multiple stopovers on your journey. Icelandair allows travelers to have up to two stopovers on their itinerary, giving you the opportunity to discover different regions of Iceland during your trip.
Extend Your Stopover: If you’re enjoying your time in Iceland and want to extend your stopover beyond seven days, it’s possible to do so. However, keep in mind that any additional days beyond the seven-day limit will be considered as a separate trip, and additional fees may apply.
By providing this flexibility in the duration of your stopover, the Icelandair Stopover program allows you to customize your itinerary and make the most out of your time in Iceland. Whether you’re craving a quick taste of Icelandic culture or want to delve deeper into the country’s wonders, the duration and flexibility of the stopover program make it possible.
Destinations Included in Stopover
When you choose to take advantage of the Icelandair Stopover program, you not only have the opportunity to explore Reykjavik, but you can also venture beyond the capital city and discover other enchanting destinations in Iceland. Here are some of the destinations included in your stopover:
- Reykjavik: As the capital and largest city of Iceland, Reykjavik is a must-visit destination during your stopover. Marvel at its colorful architecture, visit iconic landmarks like Hallgrimskirkja Church, explore museums and galleries, and indulge in the city’s bustling dining and nightlife scene. Reykjavik offers a vibrant mix of culture, history, and modern amenities.
- The Golden Circle: The Golden Circle is a popular tourist route that encompasses three extraordinary natural attractions: Thingvellir National Park, Geysir Geothermal Area, and Gullfoss Waterfall. Experience the geological wonders of the area, witness the powerful eruptions of the Strokkur geyser, and admire the awe-inspiring beauty of the cascading Gullfoss waterfall.
- South Coast: The South Coast of Iceland is known for its rugged landscapes, dramatic waterfalls, and black sand beaches. Visit Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss waterfalls, walk behind the cascades at Seljalandsfoss, and explore the otherworldly landscapes of Reynisfjara Black Sand Beach.
- Blue Lagoon: Located in a lava field in Grindavik, the Blue Lagoon is a world-famous geothermal spa renowned for its mineral-rich waters. Enjoy a relaxing soak in the warm, milky-blue waters, surrounded by stunning volcanic scenery. Treat yourself to spa treatments and indulge in the lagoon’s luxurious amenities.
- Snæfellsnes Peninsula: Situated on the western coast of Iceland, the Snæfellsnes Peninsula offers diverse landscapes, ranging from towering cliffs to charming fishing villages. Explore the Snæfellsjökull National Park, admire the iconic Kirkjufell mountain, and discover the unique beauty of the peninsula’s rugged coastline.
- Northern Iceland: Travel to the northern region of Iceland to discover breathtaking landscapes and natural wonders. Visit the town of Akureyri, known as the “Capital of the North,” explore the Lake Mývatn area with its geothermal activity and surreal landscapes, and witness the powerful Dettifoss waterfall, Europe’s most powerful waterfall.
These are just a few of the destinations you can explore during your Icelandair Stopover. Whether you prefer the vibrant energy of Reykjavik, the stunning natural wonders along the South Coast, or the tranquility of the Snæfellsnes Peninsula, each destination offers a unique experience that will leave you in awe of Iceland’s beauty.
With the flexibility of the stopover program, you can choose to spend your time in one or several of these destinations, depending on the duration of your layover and your personal preferences. So, get ready to embark on an unforgettable journey through some of Iceland’s most remarkable and captivating destinations.
When it comes to accommodation during your Icelandair Stopover, you’ll find a wide range of options to suit every budget and preference. Whether you’re looking for luxury hotels, cozy guesthouses, or budget-friendly hostels, there’s something for everyone. Here are the main accommodation options available:
- Hotels: Reykjavik boasts a variety of hotels, ranging from luxurious properties to comfortable mid-range options. Choose from well-known international hotel chains, boutique hotels, or family-run establishments. Hotels often offer amenities such as restaurants, spas, and concierge services, ensuring a comfortable and convenient stay.
- Guesthouses and Bed and Breakfasts: For a more intimate and homey experience, consider staying in a guesthouse or bed and breakfast. These accommodations typically offer comfortable rooms with shared or private bathrooms and provide a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Many guesthouses serve breakfast and may even offer the opportunity to interact with local hosts.
- Hostels and Budget Accommodation: If you’re a budget-conscious traveler or prefer the sociable atmosphere of a hostel, you’ll find several options in Reykjavik and other popular tourist areas. Hostels offer shared dormitory rooms or private rooms at a more affordable price, often including communal areas to socialize and cook meals.
- Camping and RV Parks: Iceland is a haven for outdoor enthusiasts, and camping is a popular way to experience the country’s natural beauty up close. There are numerous campsites and RV parks available throughout Iceland, providing basic facilities and picturesque locations for those who prefer the freedom of camping.
- Farm Stays: For a unique and authentic Icelandic experience, consider staying at a farm guesthouse. These accommodations allow you to stay on a working farm, interact with animals, and enjoy the tranquility of rural life. Farm stays provide a glimpse into Icelandic culture and offer the opportunity to experience farm-to-table dining.
It’s important to note that while Reykjavik and other popular tourist areas offer a wide range of accommodation options, in more remote areas or during peak travel seasons, it’s essential to book your accommodation in advance to secure your desired choice.
When selecting your accommodation, consider its location and proximity to attractions and transportation options. Additionally, take into account any specific amenities you may require and your preferred level of comfort.
Regardless of your choice, you can expect Icelandic hospitality and a warm welcome wherever you stay during your Icelandair Stopover. So, whether you’re indulging in luxury, seeking a cozy retreat, or embracing the camaraderie of a hostel, you’re sure to find the perfect accommodation to make your stopover in Iceland memorable.
Additional Activities and Excursions
In addition to the natural wonders and cultural experiences that Iceland offers, there are numerous activities and excursions available to make your Icelandair Stopover even more unforgettable. Here are some popular options to consider:
- Whale Watching: Set sail from Reykjavik or other coastal towns and embark on a thrilling adventure to spot magnificent whales in their natural habitat. Iceland’s waters are home to various species, including humpback whales, orcas, and minke whales.
- Glacier Hiking: Strap on your crampons and explore the mesmerizing icy landscapes of Iceland’s glaciers. Join a guided tour and trek through sparkling ice formations, crevasses, and ice caves, while learning about the remarkable geological features of these frozen wonders.
- Golden Circle Tour: Take a guided tour of the famous Golden Circle route, which includes visiting Thingvellir National Park, the Geysir Geothermal Area, and Gullfoss Waterfall. Learn about Iceland’s history, witness geothermal activity, and marvel at the power and beauty of the waterfall.
- Northern Lights Hunting: If you visit Iceland during the winter months, don’t miss the opportunity to witness the captivating Northern Lights. Join a guided tour led by experienced aurora hunters who will take you to the best locations for optimal viewing.
- Hot Springs and Geothermal Spas: Experience the rejuvenating power of Iceland’s geothermal activity by visiting hot springs and geothermal spas. The iconic Blue Lagoon is a must-visit, but there are also other geothermal pools and natural hot springs scattered throughout the country.
- Waterfall Exploration: Iceland is renowned for its stunning waterfalls, and there are many to discover. Visit Seljalandsfoss, Skogafoss, and Dettifoss, among others, and admire their awe-inspiring beauty up close.
- Horseback Riding: Immerse yourself in Icelandic culture by embarking on a horseback riding adventure. Icelandic horses, known for their unique gait, are gentle and friendly companions. Explore the countryside on horseback and take in breathtaking landscapes.
- Ice Cave Exploration: During the winter months, explore the magical ice caves that form within Iceland’s glaciers. Join a guided tour and venture into the shimmering blue passages for a surreal and unforgettable experience.
These are just a few examples of the wide range of activities and excursions available during your Icelandair Stopover. Whether you’re seeking adrenaline-pumping adventures, natural wonders, or cultural experiences, there’s something for everyone.
It’s important to note that some activities may be seasonal or weather-dependent, so it’s advisable to plan accordingly and check for any restrictions or reservations required. Additionally, many tour operators and activity providers offer pick-up services from major hotels in Reykjavik, making it convenient to join these exciting adventures.
Make the most of your stopover by adding one or more of these activities to your itinerary, and immerse yourself in the unique experiences that Iceland has to offer.
Transportation during Stopover
Getting around during your Icelandair Stopover is convenient and provides several transportation options to explore the country. Here’s a breakdown of the transportation choices available:
- Car Rental: Renting a car gives you the freedom to explore Iceland at your own pace and discover remote areas that are not easily accessible by public transportation. Several car rental companies operate at the Keflavik International Airport and in downtown Reykjavik, offering a variety of vehicle options to suit your needs.
- Public Transportation: Reykjavik has an efficient bus system operated by Strætó, which provides transportation to various neighborhoods and attractions within the city. Buses are equipped with free Wi-Fi, making it convenient for tourists. However, note that public transportation options become more limited when traveling outside of Reykjavik.
- Taxi and Rideshare Services: Taxis are readily available in Reykjavik and other major towns. You can find taxi stands or request a taxi via phone or mobile apps. Alternatively, rideshare services such as Uber and Lyft are also available in Reykjavik, offering another convenient way to get around the city.
- Organized Tours and Excursions: If you opt for guided tours and excursions, transportation is typically included as part of the package. The tour operator will provide transportation from designated pick-up points, making it easy for you to join the tour and explore popular attractions or participate in activities without the hassle of arranging transportation separately.
- Airport Transfers: When arriving at Keflavik International Airport, you have various options for getting to Reykjavik or your chosen accommodation. Shuttle services, private transfers, and taxis are available at the airport and can take you directly to your destination.
It’s important to plan and consider transportation options based on your itinerary and the locations you wish to visit. If you’re planning to explore beyond Reykjavik, renting a car is highly recommended for the most flexibility and convenience. However, if you’re primarily staying in Reykjavik or participating in organized tours, public transportation and taxis can be sufficient for getting around.
Additionally, be mindful of the road conditions and weather during your stopover, especially if you’re driving. Iceland’s weather can be unpredictable, and road conditions in certain areas may require caution and vehicle preparedness.
With the various transportation options available, getting around during your Icelandair Stopover is hassle-free, allowing you to easily explore and discover the incredible beauty that Iceland has to offer.
The Icelandair Stopover program is a fantastic opportunity to enhance your travel experience and explore the wonders of Iceland during your journey between North America and Europe. With its breathtaking landscapes, vibrant culture, and unique attractions, Iceland offers a myriad of opportunities for adventure and discovery.
By taking advantage of the Icelandair Stopover, you can add an extra dimension to your trip, immersing yourself in the Icelandic culture, exploring natural wonders, and creating unforgettable memories. Whether you choose to spend a few days in Reykjavik, venture out to the Golden Circle, or explore the vast landscapes of the South Coast or other regions, Iceland has something to offer every traveler.
From the flexibility to choose the duration of your stopover to the wide range of accommodation options and the plethora of activities and excursions available, the Icelandair Stopover program caters to diverse interests and preferences. Whether you’re seeking thrilling adventures, serene natural beauty, or a glimpse into Icelandic culture, you’ll find it all in this enchanting country.
Remember to plan your stopover in advance, considering your desired attractions, activities, and accommodation choices. Be sure to check for any seasonal restrictions or necessary reservations to ensure a smooth and enjoyable experience.
So, the next time you’re planning a trip across the Atlantic, why not break up your journey with an Icelandair Stopover and discover the magic of Iceland? From majestic waterfalls and captivating lava fields to geothermal spas and the mesmerizing Northern Lights, Iceland’s natural wonders will astound you at every turn.
Book your Icelandair Stopover, pack your bags, and get ready to embark on a journey filled with wonder, adventure, and a taste of the extraordinary Icelandic culture. Your stopover in Iceland will undoubtedly be a highlight of your trip, leaving you with memories to cherish for a lifetime.